SOCIAL MEDIA

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Macaroni Salad

For me, Easter marks the beginning of spring and summer dishes, especially cold salads.  I am not a huge fan of macaroni salad, but I loved my grandma's. I could never quite duplicate hers, until now...  This recipe is my idea of the perfect macaroni salad. It's amazingly creamy but doesn't contain too much mayonnaise. Be sure to drain the pimentos well - I use a paper towel in a small mesh strainer.

One of my biggest regrets is that I never had a chance or took the time to sit down with my grandma and write down her recipes/methods.  Everything that came out of her kitchen was pure magic. I can make most of her dishes from taste, but some, like her macaroni salad, have been trial and error trying to duplicate. 

Loraine's Macaroni Salad
(named after my grandma)

1 pound small ridged elbow macaroni
Salted water
1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard

1/2 tsp sugar
1 1/3 cups mayonnaise

1 tablespoon white vinegar
1 green pepper, finely chopped
1 jar diced pimentos (4 ounces), well-drained.*


Cook pasta in salted water according to directions on package for  al dente.  Drain pasta and rinse well in cold water. Pour pasta into large mixing bowl. 

Add garlic, salt, pepper and Dijon mustard to pasta and stir until well combined. Let set 15-20 minutes. Mix together mayo, vinegar and sugar.  Stir into macaroni.  Add green peppers and pimentos - stir to combine. Cover and refrigerate 2-4 hours. Add salt to taste before serving. 

Teal Signature photo Toniasig.png

Post a Comment